Well, The Lord really opened some effectual doors today in Freeport Grand Bahama. Way worse than we imagined. People are still traumatized everywhere & simply grateful to be alive. Most of Freeport was hit by a 7-20 foot title surge. 60 percent of the homes and businesses destroyed, virtually every other structure impacted by wind or water damage. These people were hunkered down under a major hurricane for 3 days. Most packed into church’s or larger buildings on higher ground. The Storm was so intense it was pitch black outside the entire time. So loud you could not hear each other talk.
According to The Ministry For Grand Bahama:
- Over 6,000 homes destroyed/extensively damaged on island
- 18,000 people displaced (in shelters, left island, sharing lodging with family, in hotels, or temporary tents)
- All majors public schools (primary school and high school)closed until further notice. Almost 10k students currently not in school
- 60% of businesses in the Freeport not open for business, 11% of that 60% WILL NOT OPEN, 23%?of businesses open are projecting to close or lay off in 90 days pending things remain the same.
- The immediate need for trained counselors is paramount.
- 50 confirmed dead. Over 1000 people still missing.
Continue to pray,
Lance Cook Calvary Chapel La Habra
All donations will go to Calvary Disaster Relief response efforts. Thank you so much for your prayer and support.